Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Another reason why The Journey: Live Another Day won't get finished on time

I suck at 4-part vocal style writing. Majorly.

I'm okay at writing perfect and plagal cadences (a cadence is just two chords pretty much). The difficulty comes in writing choral music (and other cadences which I haven't learnt about).

I'm going to have to learn a truckload more before I can finish this song. Oh well, there's nothing stopping me from taking the finished parts on the plane with me in 78 days. The finished parts are well over 2 minutes long, combined. So far what I've done can be broken up into four parts:
  1. Introduction- 54 bars long, or 1 min 38 seconds
  2. Walking down the 737 aisle- 20 bars long, or 54 seconds
  3. Carolyn and Lucy- 8 bars long, or 32 seconds (it's slower than the other two sections)
  4. The Aeroplane Song- 3 bars long, or 11 seconds
That adds up to a total of 3 minutes and 15 seconds, if I added correctly.

Now for a little more info on what each of the sections are about- except for the introduction, because I don't really know what it's about either.

I've already done a post about "Walking down the 737 aisle." Obviously, it's about me walking down the aisle on the Boeing 737 on the way home.

The "Carolyn and Lucy" part is about a couple of flight attendants living in my imaginary world (both loosely based off real flight attendants). When I was nervous about my flight home, I imagined Carolyn and Lucy calming me down and I felt better. This section has a soprano solo (Carolyn) and an alto solo (Lucy), as does the next section, "The Aeroplane Song."

I've imagined that section of the song to go something like:
(Kayleuetski):
You sang to me to calm me down,
And your words were...
(Carolyn and Lucy):
Aeroplane, flying high,
Aeroplane, in the sky
I've also imagined another part of the "story." This part is a little weird since it involves a talking (or to be exact, singing) aeroplane toilet. I guess that bit will just have to be sung by a human, probably a male voice.
(Choir)
... and it said to you...
(Boeing 737 toilet)
I can take away your fear,
But you will have to flush me first...
Yes, I know, I imagine the weirdest of things.

All the same, that's what imagination's for.

No comments:

Post a Comment