Thursday, January 27, 2011

Liebesträume

I'm learning a piano piece called Liebesträume, simply because it was one of the sample scores on Sibelius and I liked it. I haven't given a link to a Youtube video here because it's a very expressive piece and there are lots of interpretations of it.

However, it is a very hard piece to play. In the first section the melody alternates between the left and right hands and the harmony is a lot busier than the melody, making it hard to draw out the melody. Then there are some bits where the notes are written really tiny. The climax of the piece is dramatic and all, but it involves jumping around a lot.

It's taken me at least a week (roughly an hour a day?) to learn the piece and I'm not done yet. I've had to do bits at a time, sometimes only 3 bars. This is in stark contrast to simply bashing through the piece until it's good enough for my standards, which is what I usually do when I'm learning a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment