Monday, January 17, 2011

Composing

(Warning: music nerd blog entry up ahead!)

I'm currently composing a piece about my old phobia and how I conquered it (well, most of it, anyway). The title isn't set. It's gone between Phobia, Phobia- Journey Another Day and now I'm considering changing it to The Journey: Live Another Day. I'd also written a few stanzas of a poem to help with musical ideas.

I scrapped the choral-centred intro that I had before and chucked in a harp and a flute to make it more instrumental-centred. The piece now starts with a flute solo, accompanied by the harp. Later on the string section (violin 1, violin 2, viola, cello, double bass) and the choir join in, while the flute drops out. Sopranos and violin 1s have the melody, as they usually do.

The melody is perhaps better suited towards the clarinet's range, but I wanted a flute to make for a more solemn tone. The intro is about how having a phobia has affected me and my desperation to conquer it. The first stanza of my aforementioned poem is:

Child, awaken-
you must go on
and to do so
your slumber must cease.
I have to eat now, but I'll get back to composing afterwards. I'm hoping to be able to listen to the completed piece on my flights to Europe, especially if my phobia tries to return to haunt me.

2 comments:

  1. Cool, can you email it to me?
    I love listening to your compositions!
    ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excerpts from my composition can be found in the post "Another excerpt" and "Walking down the 737 aisle."

    ReplyDelete