Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epic clarinet playing

In Wind Quintet, we're playing a piece called The Russian Bear. It has a horribly difficult (but fun) clarinet part. Today I found a sound file of The Russian Bear on the Internet and, upon hearing how fast it's meant to be played, simply burst out laughing!

The sound file can be found on this website.

Although my right wrist was hurting yesterday, I grabbed my clarinet and tried to play it at that speed. I could keep up only if I slurred the whole piece and even then only barely. (Near the end there's a high fast part- yes, that's the bit I have to play.)

At this rate, I won't be able to do anything with my right wrist at the end of the holidays.

98 days until music tour (I've found that I'd miscounted previously). Let's just hope that my old phobia doesn't come back. Come to think of it, every second flight I've been afraid of the toilets (obviously not counting the flights I went on when I was 1), so if this pattern continues, then I'll be scared on the 11 hour flight, the 2 hour flight and the 10hr 30min flight and fine on the 5 hour flight and the 7hr 30min flight. In short: not counting the 2 hour flight, I'll be scared on the long flights and fine on the short ones should the pattern continue. It would be far more beneficial the other way around. Damn, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Anyway, after playing The Russian Bear today, I'm pretty positive that my clarinet is louder than an aeroplane toilet. So I should be fine.

...

... I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I'll pray to the NBD for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on 'Etski, you can do it!
    Live your dreams, face your fears!

    ReplyDelete